The music and podcast streaming platform Spotify has just launched an offline track listening feature for connected watches running Wear OS. If you have a Spotify subscription, you’ll now be able to listen to music on the street without having your smartphone with you. We now explain how to download albums, playlists and podcasts to your watch.
Listen to music on your connected watch in offline mode
Smartwatches, also known as connected watches, have gradually become independent of phones. Google’s mobile operating system called Wear OS (formerly known as Android Wear) has been enriched with practical functions for everyday life. For your information, here’s how to connect an Android watch to an iPhone.
You can now find devices that allow you to go outside to play sports or go for a bike ride while listening to your favorite music, even if your smartphone is not in your pocket. And don’t think that this listening feature is only for e-Sim (4G) compatible models.
Music listening without a smartphone also works on watches with only a Bluetooth connection. However, the device must be running Wear OS.
Another important point is that only users with a Spotify Premium subscription will be able to download music tracks and retrieve their playlists for offline listening. Free users will have to make do with a much more limited selection. They will only be able to download their favorite podcasts.
Add the Spotify app to your Wear OS connected watch
Many connected watch owners have been complaining about not being able to listen to music without their smartphone. With the new update to the Spotify app, it’s now possible. We explain how it works.
- Open the Google Play Store on your watch
- Click on the magnifying glass icon to launch the search module
- Type Spotify in the form
- Click on the Install button and allow the app to download
- Launch the Spotify app on your watch
- Open your web browser (smartphone, computer or tablet)
- Enter the following address in the URL field: http://spotify.com/pair
- Log in with your credentials or register if you don’t have a Spotify account
- Then enter the code that is displayed on your smartphone screen
- Press the associate button
Download music to a watch
As a paid Spotify subscriber, you will be able to download playlists, albums, podcasts or tracks to your watch. However, you will need a Spotify Premium account to enjoy your music on your smartwatch.
- Open the Spotify app on your connected watch
- Search for the album or track you want to download
- Scroll down to the window just below the song title
- Click the download button
- A status bar will show you the download progress
As a reminder, users with a free Spotify account can download podcast episodes directly to their Wear OS device but will need an internet connection to listen to the music.