At a time when prices are constantly rising, more and more of us are looking for ways to save money. Today we’re going to explain how to use your Google Play points to pay for your purchases without spending a single euro.
What are Google Play points used for?
The Google Play Store offers one of the largest catalogs in the world. In addition to the traditional applications, you can find movies, books, games and much more. And like many other e-commerce platforms, it has a Google Play Points loyalty program that allows you to earn credits for every purchase you make.
Whether you’re an occasional or regular Play Store customer, it’s in your best interest to join this loyalty program. It will allow you to save money on your future purchases. And it’s free to join, so it would be a shame to miss out.
Note that it’s also possible to earn points by downloading free applications or games. Please note that only apps that are partners of the program will allow you to get rewards and increase your prize pool.
How to join the Play Points loyalty program
Joining the Google Play loyalty program is done directly online from an Android device or from the web interface of the store. Registration is free and only takes a few minutes.
Please note that the service is currently reserved for users living in the following countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States.
- Launch the Google Play application on your Android tablet or smartphone
- Click on the icon of your avatar (usually the first letter of your first name) that appears in the upper right corner
- Select the Play Points option
- Press the green Join button
- If you have not yet registered a payment method (credit card if you have not yet registered a payment method (credit card, mobile operator billing, PayPal account, prepaid card), Google will ask you to enter one.
You are now a member of the Play Points loyalty program. Important detail, Google accounts managed by parents or people under 18 can’t join this program.
From now on, every time you make purchases on the Play Store you will earn one point per euro spent. During the first week after registration, your points will be automatically tripled.
Google’s loyalty program has several reward levels (Bronze, Silver and Gold, Platinum) offering a different compensation scheme. But that’s not all, Google regularly organizes promotions to multiply the points earned on its Store.
- Bronze: this is the starting level to which all new registrants have access. You receive one point for every euro spent on the platform. During special events, your points are quadrupled.
- Silver: to reach this level, you must have obtained more than 150 points during the calendar year. The reward then increases to 1.1 points for every euro spent.
- Gold: to reach this level, you must accumulate at least 600 points during the year. This will allow you to earn 1.2 points for every euro spent.
- Platinum: This is the highest level of income in the Google loyalty program. To achieve this, you must earn 3,000 points per year. You’ll get 1.4 points per euro spent in the store and many other benefits including games, apps and books.
At the end of the year, your point balance will be used to determine your earning level. But be careful, the points automatically expire one year after the purchase. So I advise you not to delay too long before using them. This is the subject of the next chapter.
How to pay with Google Play Points
You will quickly accumulate Play Points that you can then use to treat yourself to little pleasures, including the purchase of games. There are several ways to spend your prize pool. For example, you can use them to credit your Google account
which you can then use to buy movies, books, applications and all other content available on the Play Store. You can also use it to make in-app purchases (buying extra levels, new lives or accessories to speed up your progress in a game).
- Open the Play Store on your Android phone or tablet
- Click on your account icon
- Press the Play Points section
- You will see the number of points available in your kitty
- Press the use button
- Then select what you want to do with your points
- To do this, click on the tab corresponding to your choice: coupon, Play credit, donate to an association
- Then select from the list, the application or game you want to buy with your points credit
The list of associations participating in the Google Play Points loyalty program is at the bottom of the Earn tab. Google will then convert your points into euros and send the money to the organization of your choice